The Contra Costa County Genealogical Society (CCCGS) is engaged in helping its members research and trace their family trees and to advance the best practice principles of genealogy.
Located in the San Francisco East Bay Area, we bring the California spirit to promote genealogical research and to provide educational experiences on the tools and techniques that lead to discovery and break-throughs. We welcome people of all genealogical skill levels from beginning to advanced.
The CCCGS is one of the few genealogical societies in the area that holds meetings in the evenings allowing those who work to attend and participate. Our meeting presenters are experts in myriad topics related to genealogy and are eager to share their knowledge with our members and guests who attend free of charge.
We were founded in 1975 and are a non-profit organization. We are not affiliated with any political or religious organization.
These evening meetings feature a guest presenter on a genealogy topic and are free to both members and the public.
Time and Date: 7 – 9 p.m. 2nd Thursday of January, March, April, May, June, September, October, November
Address: LDS Building 1360 Alberta Way, Concord
These evening meetings provide opportunities to do research using databases at the Concord Family History Center and to get help from knowledgeable mentors. These meetings are free to both members and the public.
- Time and Date: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. 2nd Thursday of February, July
- Address: Concord Family History Center, 3700 Concord Blvd, Concord
Other Activities and Events
Monday Morning Roundtable
This is a group that gets together to discuss genealogy research and to help each other in their various efforts. It meets at the home of member, Susan Swindell.
- Time and Date: 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. (lunch at IHOP follows) 2nd Monday of each month
- Location: Contact Susan Swindell at Swindell@value.net for more information and her address.
Annual Fall Seminar
This popular all-day event, usually held in October, features a professional from the genealogy field who conducts a deep-dive into a broad topic of interest. An auction and book sale are part of the event. The seminar is open both to members and the public. It is fee-based with members charged a reduced rate.
Introductory and Intermediate Genealogy Classes
Sponsored by the CCCGS and Concord Family History Center, these six-week courses are held one or two times a year generally during daytime hours. The classes, led by skilled instructors, provide lessons on the tools and techniques to perform quality genealogical research. Participants receive an instruction manual and materials. It is fee-based and is open to members and the public.
Our monthly newsletter, Descendants, is published eleven times per year (not in August) and is included with every Membership. You must be a member to receive or have access to the newsletter located in the Members Only section of this site. The newsletter covers a variety of topics including:
- Co-President's Message
- Speaker guests for upcoming meetings and seminars
- Special interest stories
- Interviews and tips from genealogy experts, including our own member experts
- Event notices for local area, Northern California, and national genealogical societies
- News about technical updates and advancements with genealogy software and digital technology
- Contra Costa County research and historical information
- Notices and reviews of TV programs, books and webcasts related to genealogy